This is a recipe for a delicious and easy Råraka with Creme Fraiche & Chanterelles. This recipe only requires a few key ingredients and 15 minutes of your time. These råraka/hash brown with Creme Fraiche and chanterelles is perfect to serve as appetizers, finger food, starters or brunch/lunch. They are both vegetarian and gluten free.
Are you just as big of a chanterelle lover as I am? Im guess Im not the only one… and at least not in Sweden! Us Swedes really love chanterelle season indulging as much as we can while they’re here. This dish is a really classic Swedish dish, maybe not with the chanterelle topping but the Råraka/Hash Brown. Råraka is a dish that is one of our most beloved dishes that is usually served with Creme Fraiche, red onion and fish roe. But I wanted to make a råraka that was more fall inspired, making it suitable for cozy brunches or dinners! This dish is really easy to make, taste delicious and is the perfect dish to make for fall. Serve this råraka with Creme Fraiche and chanterelles as an appetizer, finger food, starter or for brunch/lunch. It is both vegetarian and gluten free.
A few tips:
- Make sure the pan is really hot before frying both the råraka and chanterelles. But you don’t want it to be on too high heat.
- The chanterelles have to fry until all the water has evaporated, then you can season it and fry it until it has some color.
- The råraka has to fry until it it golden brown on the first side. Don’t try to flip or check it before it has fried for 3-4 minutes on medium heat, otherwise it might break.
- I used a classic Swedish cheese named Västerbotten ost, if you can’t find it you can use parmesan cheese, gruyere or pecorino instead (or any other intense and flavorful cheese that you like).
- This dish should be served warm.
Ingredients for this Råraka with Chanterelles:
- Creme Fraiche or Smetana
- Västerbotten Ost (or any other flavorful and intense cheese that you like)
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
Other recipes you might like:
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Prawns (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Plums & Feta Cheese
Råraka with Chantarelles/Swedish Hash Brown with Chantarelles (Vegetarian, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- 5 Potatoes grated
- 1/2 dl Creme Fraiche or Smetana
- 150 g Chantarelles rinsed and cleaned
- 3-4 tbsp Västerbotten ost (or any other flavorful cheese like parmesane, gruyere or peccorino) grated
- 1 tbsp Red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Chives finely chopped
- Olive oil, to fry
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Preheat another nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Grate the potatoes and squeeze out the excess water. Squeexe out as much water as you can. Place it back in a bowl and and sea salt according to taste.
- Add the rinsed and washed chantarelles to the first pan. Let them fry on medium heat until the water has evaporated. Then season with sea salt and white pepper according to taste. Stir regularly and fry until golden brown.
- Form two larg or four smaller rårakor/hash browns. Make them quite thin, about 2-3 mm. Fry them in the pan until golden brown on the first side. This take about 2-4 minutes, don't flip or touch before that, then they might break.
- When they are golden brown flip and fry on the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Until golden brown and the potatoes are soft and eatable.
- Meanwhile chop the red onion and chives.
- Place on two/four plates and top with creme fraiche or smetana.
- Add the fried chantarelles on top of the råraka/hash browns.
- Top with grated cheese, red onion and chives. Serve warm.