This recipe is for a delicious and easy Chanterelle Toast. This toast only requires a few key ingredients and is ready to serve in only 5-10 minutes. It is perfect to serve as an appetizer, pre-dinner snack or starter. These chanterelle toast are vegetarian and gluten free (if using gluten free bread).
Im such a huge fan of chanterelles and indulge through out the whole season. They pair so well with both vegan/vegetarian, fish and meat dishes and can really lift a bland meal and make it very exciting. Here in Sweden a chanterelle toast is a common dish to make and either serve as small appetizers or make a bigger one and serve as a starter. It is both silly easy and quick to make and taste so wonderful and delicious. It really is the perfect fall appetizer/starter to make when you want something easy, delicious and tasty. First and foremost, choose a bread that you love! They bread isn’t the key ingredients, not at all. But it sure makes a big difference which one you use. I used a gluten free ciabatta since I don’t eat gluten. Second, make sure you don’t fry the chanterelles for too long, so that they don’t get dry and boring. They should be warm, golden brown and juicy. That will make the biggest difference when making a chanterelle toast. I really recommend you to fry the mushrooms in butter (vegan works fine as well) when making these toasts. It makes the chanterelles creamier, they get golden brown and it brings out all the flavors. I love to keep my chanterelle toast simple. So I just fry them in butter, add a little bit of creme fraîche, and season them with some salt and white pepper. At the end I just add some roughly chopped parsley and lingonberries. You can also top it with some grated cheese if you like.
A few tips:
- Use a fresh and delicious bread that you like.
- Make sure to clean the chanterelles well before frying them. You don’t want any small stones or grass left in them.
- I prefer to fry my chanterelles in butter since it brings out all the flavors and make them juicy and golden brown. But you can also use olive oil if preferred.
- The Creme Fraiche can be swapped for a vegan version if you want to make these toast vegan.
- The lingonberries are optional, but highly recommended. They add a wonderful tart and fresh taste to the toast.
Ingredients for these Chanterelle Toasts:
- Creme Fraîche
- Cheese (optional)
Other recipes you might like:
- Skagenröra Seed Cracker Bites
- Black Bean Sliders
- Prosciutto & Peach Flat Bread Pizza
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Plums & Feta Cheese
- 5 slices Bread
- 1 tsp Butter (or olive oil)
- 100 g Chanterelles cleaned and divided into smaller pieces
- 1-2 tbsp Creme fraîche
- 1/2 Shallot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lingonberries
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to tate
- Parsley, to top roughly chopped
- Cheese (optional) grated
- Preheat two nonstick pans over medium heat
- Add the butter and shallots to one of the pans and let it fry for 2-3 minutes until it starts to get golden brown and soft.
- In the other pan add the bread and let it fry and get warm for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Flip when it starts to get golden brown.
- Add the chanterelles to the shallots and fry until the are golden brown.
- Add the creme fraîche and season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Put the bread on a plate and add the fried chanterelles on top.
- Top with fresh parsley and lingonberries.