This recipe is for a super easy and delicious apple butter that is baked in the oven. Making this apple butter only requires a hand full of ingredients and about 10 minutes of your time. Use this apple butter in baking, as a spread on toast, top your breakfast bowl with it, add it to a cheese board or eat it with ice cream for dessert. This apple butter is vegan, gluten, grain, oil and sugar free.
Making your own fruit sauces, spreads, jams, compotes and butters is such an easy, wallet friendly and great way of using seasonal fruits and berries. I always make my own and rarely buy them in the store. Not only are they easy to make, much more wallet friendly than most store bought ones, and easy to vary by different flavorings and pairing depending on what you’re in the mood for. But they’re also a great if you want to eat healthier food with no unnecessary conservatives or add-ins that store bough sauce and jams can contain. This apple butter is an oven baked version that is ready in only three hours. You only need to dice the apples and combine them with the rest of the ingredients, then the rest is taken care of by the oven. This apple butter has a deeper, more intense and caramelized flavor compared to applesauce and a thicker consistency. Apple butter is like the older and more mature sister to applesauce with more developed and complex taste. It is vegan, gluten, grain, oil and sugar free.
A few tips:
- You can use any apples that you like, prefer or have at home. You can also mix different varieties to add more diversity to the apple butter.
- I used both sugar free granulated and brown sugar for this apple butter. You can use just one or the other, but that will affect the taste slightly. The brown sugar gives it a more caramelized and deep flavor while granulated sugar add more sweetness to the butter.
- The amount of sugar/sweetener can be adjusted according to taste and how sweet you prefer your apple butter. You can also add more sweetener in the end when the apple butter is ready if needed.
- I used sea salt, cinnamon and lemon juice in this apple butter. You can however experiment with the seasoning however you like. A few examples that would taste amazing in this apple butter us cardamom, anise, cloves, ginger, orange, honey, bourbon.
- The apple cider vinegar adds a lovely tangy and deep flavor to the apple butter and I would recommend not to skip it.
- Make sure to use a clean jar for the apple butter to make sure it doesn’t turn bad quickly.
Ingredients for this Oven Baked Apple Butter:
- Apple cider vinergar
- Sugar free brown sugar
- Sugar free granulated sweetener
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
Other recipes you might like:
- Cherry Jam (Vegan, GLuten, Grain & Sugar Free)
- Rhubarb Compote (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Balsamic Roasted Summer Fruits & Berries (Vegan, Gluten, Grain, Oil & Refined Sugar Free)
- Cranberry Jam (Vegan, Gluten Free & No Added Sugar)
- Raspberry Chia Jam (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Pear Sauce with Cardamom (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Persimmon Sauce (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Applesauce (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Peach Sauce/Jam (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Oven Baked Apple Butter (Vegan, Gluten, Grain, Oil & Sugar Free)
- 500 g Apples diced (you can peel and remove the core if preferred, but it is not needed)
- 1 dl Apple cider vinegar
- 1 dl Water (plus more if needed)
- A pinch of Sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 dl Sugar free brown sugar
- 1/4-1/2 dl Granulated sugar free sweetener
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Cinnamon, to taste
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- Dice (peel and core if preferred) the apples and place in a baking dish.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir together.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for approximately 3 hours. Stir every now and then (about every 40 minutes or so), add more water if needed. The butter is ready when it has thickened and deepened in color.
- Remove from the oven, taste to check the flavor. Add more seasoning if needed. Now you can either stir together the apple butter using a wooden spoon, breaking up any larger apple pieces and leave it slightly chunky. Or you can mix it completely smooth using a hand mixer. Place in a clean (important!!) jar, store in the fridge for up to three weeks.
3 thoughts on “Oven Baked Apple Butter (Vegan, Gluten, Grain, Oil & Sugar Free)”