This is an easy, quick and delicious vegan version of a classic beef stroganoff using mixed mushrooms. This dish is easy to make, only requires a few key ingredients and is ready in only 15 minutes. Serve it with cauliflower purée (as I did) or cauliflower rice to make it low carb. Or with regular potatoes, mashed potatoes or rice. This dish is both vegan, gluten, grain free and low carb.
I’ve never really been a huge fan of stroganoff. Maybe because we usually make it with a slippery and slimy sausage called “falukorv” in Sweden. But then I figured if I don’t like the sausage, why not make it with something else instead? Thats when I tried this vegan mushroom stroganoff instead. I really love how the mushrooms have a similar texture to meat which makes this dish feel both filling, comforting yet a little lighter than a regular beef stroganoff. This mushroom stroganoff is both easy and quick to make, can easily be adapted by using the mushrooms you have at hand. It is perfect to make for a quick and healthy weekday dinner, a cozy weekend meal or to make in a big batch for meal prep purpose. You can serve it with puree, rice or even pasta.
A few tips:
- I used mixed mushrooms to vary the taste and texture at bit (button mushrooms, shiitake, portobello and forest mushrooms). But you can use any mushrooms you have at hand.
- I made my stroganoff vegan, but you can of course make it vegetarian by using regular Creme Fraiche.
- I served my stroganoff with cauliflower purée but you can serve it with regular potato pure, rice or even pasta.
- This dish is perfect to make in a big batch for meal prep purpose.
Ingredients for this Mushroom Stroganoff:
- Mixed mushrooms (I used portobello, shiitake, button mushrooms and forest mushrooms)
- (Vegan) cookable Creme fraiche or similar
- Yellow onion
- Tomato paste
- Tamari or soya sauce
- Paprika powder
- Dijon mustard
Other recipes you might like:
- Beetroot Kidney Bean Burger (Vegan, Gluten & Oil Free)
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Stuffed Romaine Lettuce Rolls (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Spicy Oyster Mushroom Bowl (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Zucchini Enchiladas with Black Beans (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Spinach Stuffed Portobello (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Mushroom Stroganoff (Vegan)
- 300 g Mixed mushrooms (I used portobello, shiitake, button mushrooms and forest mushrooms) sliced/diced (I like to mix and have diffrent sizes)
- 1-2 tbsp Water
- 250 ml Vegan cookable creme fraiche (or regular if not vegan)
- 1 Yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Tamari or soya sauce
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Fresh Parsley roughly chopped
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Saute the onion for a few minutes until it start to soften and get golden brown.
- Add in the diced mushrooms and the water and let them fry until the water has evaporated.
- When the water has evaporated and the mushrooms have started to caramelize add the tomato paste and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add paprika poweder and dijon mustard and stir until well combined.
- Add the creme fraiche and tamari and combine. Let it shimmer for 2-3 minutes until warm.
- Serve with potatos, mashed potatoes or rice.