This recipe is for a warming, delicious and easy Swedish Semla Porridge. This semla porridge only requires a few ingredients and about 10 minutes of your time. It is perfect to make for a warming and cozy breakfast or afternoon snack. This porridge is both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
Have you ever had a Swedish semla? It is a cardamom flavored wheat bun filled with almond paste and whipped cream and is eaten during “Fettisdagen” (Fat Tuesday) in February/March. But Semlor are starting to pop up in the stores already by end of December or beginning of January. Im actually not the biggest fan of a classic semla, so I usually make something with a Semla-twist to it. For example this Semla porridge! This porridge is warming with a taste of cardamom served with warm almond milk, whipped coconut cream, almond paste and chopped almonds on top. This porridge is delicious, flavorful yet healthy at the same time! You have a wonderful combination of warm cardamom porridge, gentle warm milk, sweet almond paste, whipped coconut cream that melts over the porridge and crunchy chopped almonds on top. This porridge really has it all and is perfect to make during cold winter days. It is both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
A few tips:
- You can cook the oats in either water or milk. Using milk makes it a little more creamy and rich in taste.
- When making the almond paste make sure you have a powerful blender, preferably use a smaller one since the amount it’s a small batch (or make a bigger to have for several days or use the rest as a spread or topping on other dishes).
- I add just about 1-2 tablespoons of water to make the almond paste creamy and not too thick. Start by adding a little water and then more if you prefer it less thick.
- I use already whipped coconut cream, but you can whip it yourself as well.
Ingredients for this Swedish Semla Porridge:
- Plant based milk (I used almond)
- Salt (optional)
- Coconut cream
Other recipes you might like:
- Vanilla Oatmeal with Roasted Figs & Coconut Flakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Spiced Baked Oatmeal with Pecan & Sunflower Crumble (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Amaranth Porridge with Apples & Cinnamon (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Oatmeal Bars with Berries (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Vanilla Overnight Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Overnight Chia Oats with Peach Sauce (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Quinoa Porridge with Plum Compote (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cardamom & Berry Baked Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Porridge with Fried Banana (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Porridge Waffles Two Ways(Gluten & Sugar Free)
Swedish Semla Porridge (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the porridge
- 2 dl Oats
- 4 1/2 dl Water or plant based milk
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- Pinch of Salt (optional)
For the topping
- 1 dl Almond milk
- 1 dl Coconut cream whipped
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1-2 Dates pitted
- 1-2 dl Almonds
- Water, to thin
- Bring water or milk to a shimmer in a pot.
- Add the oats, cardamom and salt (if using) to the pot and stir together.
- Let the oats cook until they are soaked and the texture has thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile heat the almond milk for the topping in a separate bowl on low heat.
- Mix the almonds (but keep about 1/2 dl to top) and dates with just a little bit of water in a high speed blender until desired texture. I like to keep some crunches left.
- Combine the whipped coconut cream with some cinnamon.
- Remove the porridge from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes with the pot covered with a lid.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls. Pour the warm almond milk over the porridge and top it with coconut cream, almond paste, roughly chopped almonds and some more cinnamon.
One thought on “Swedish Semla Porridge (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)”