This recipes is for a delicious, flavorful and easy Beetroot & Halloumi Burger. This recipes is made with a few simple and staple ingredients and is ready to serve in only 20 minutes. Serve this beetroot and halloumi burger for lunch, brunch or dinner. This burger is both vegetarian and gluten free.
Hamburger does not equal meat patties, greasy cheese and bacon (even though that might actually be just what you crave sometimes). Burgers can be done is so many different ways and form, only your imagination set the boundaries. This burger is made with delicious and tender beetroot patties, warm fried halloumi, creamy and fresh mashed avocado and oven baked sweet potato fries. This burger has it all, but still feels fresh and lighter then a regular one. It is very easy to make and a perfect alternative to a regular meat burger if you want to make it vegetarian. Serve this beetroot and halloumi burger for lunch, brunch or dinner. It is both vegetarian and gluten free.
A few tips:
- When grating the beetroot make sure to squeeze out excess water to prevent the patties to make them too wet.
- I only used yellow onion, eggs, sea salt and black pepper for these patties since you have a lot of flavor from the other ingredients. But you can add additional seasoning and flavor them just as you like. But I would recommend not to use too many spices since I prefer when you get to taste the beetroots and combine them with the salty warm halloumi and creamy fresh avocado. Hence I prefer not to season them too much to shift the focus from the key ingredients.
- The patties can be fried or baked in the oven. Fry them for 3-4 minutes on each side or bake them in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes on 175 degrees Celsius.
- I like to keep the mashed avocado quite simple and plain, not using too many spices. Hence only using lemon juice, sea salt and a garlic clove. But you can add additional seasoning if preferred.
- I like to slice my halloumi block in two lengthwise since its easier to eat then using halloumi slices and also a whole halloumi block will be too heavy and filling.
Ingredients for these Beetroot & Halloumi Burger:
- Yellow onion
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Gluten free hamburger buns
- Lemon juice
- Sweet potatoes
Other recipes you might like:
- Black Bean Sliders (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Beetroot Taste (Vegetarian & Low Carb)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Halloumi Lettuce Wrap (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Hamburger with Goat Cheese Cream & Plum Chutney (Gluten Free)
- Summery Fish Burger with Nectarine Salsa (Gluten Free)
- Asian Inspired Fish Burger (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Beetroot & Kidney Bean Burger (Vegan, Gluten & Oil Free)
Beetroot & Halloumi Burger (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
For the patties
- 5 medium sized Beetroots coarsely grated
- 1 Yellow onion coarsely grated
- 2 Eggs
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, to fry
For the burger
- 4 (Gluten Free) Hamburger buns
- 2-3 hands full of Fresh spinach
- 2 blocks Halloumi divided in two lengthwise
- 2 Avocados mashed
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Sea salt
- 1 Garlic clove (optional)
- 2 Sweet potatoes cut into thin wedges
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Mash the avocado and combine with lemon juice, garlic (if using) sea salt and black pepper. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed. Set aside.
- Cut the sweet potato into thin wedges/slices, place on a parchment covered baking sheet and cover in some olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile coarsely grate the beetroots and yellow onion. Squeeze out as much excess water as you can. Add eggs and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Form 4 equally sized patties.
- Fry the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown, warm and cooked through.
- Meanwhile preheat another nonstick pan over medium/high heat with some olive oil.
- Slice the halloumi lengthwise.
- When the pan is hot add the halloumi to the pan and fry for 1/2-1 minute on each side, until golden brown and warm.
- When the halloumi is done add the hamburger buns to the pan and fry for 1/2-1 minute, until golden brown.
- Assembly the burgers by adding fresh spinach at the bottom. Then add a patty on each bun followed by a slice of halloumi. Top with mashed avocado and sweet potato fries. Cover with the top of the hamburger bun.