This recipe is for a vegetarian, delicious and healthy Baked Potatoes with Cottage Cheese, Spicy Tomato Sauce & Black Beans. This dish is both easy to make, requires minimal effort from your end and is made with staple ingredients. Serve these baked potatoes with cottage cheese, spicy tomato sauce and black beans for lunch or dinner or make them for for meal prep purpose. They are both vegetarian and gluten free.
Baked potatoes is such a great dish, but I keep on forgetting about it! But every time I make it I always tell myself I have to make it more often. Because what’s not to like? You have a warm, soft and tender baked potato that you can stuff with just about everything. Sounds like heaven to me! I usually make baked potatoes with tuna salad, since its my favorite. But I’ve actually started to experiment a bit more with different filling. Because as mentioned above, you can really add anything you’re in the mood for or have at home. This combination with cottage cheese, spicy tomato sauce and black beans is just divine! The cold, creamy and gentle cottage cheese make such a wonderful combination with the warm and spicy tomato sauce and fried black beans. I also topped my baked potatoes with fresh spinach and cherry tomatoes to get some crunch and freshness to the dish. These baked potatoes are perfect to serve for lunch, dinner or to make for meal prep purpose. They are both vegetarian and gluten free.
A few tips:
- Peek small holes all around the potatoes using a fork to make sure they don’t explode in the oven. (Not a joke, it has happened to me).
- Use equally sized potatoes to make sure the baking time is the same for all of them.
- To check if the potatoes are ready insert a toothpick or stick to check if it is soft all the way through.
- The hotness of the spicy tomato sauce can be adapted according to taste. Just start by adding a little and then add more if required.
- You can use dairy free cottage cheese if needed.
Ingredients for these Baked Potatoes with Cottage Cheese, Spicy Tomato Sauce & Black Beans:
- Baked potatoes
- Yellow onion
- Red chili
- Paprika powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Crushed tomatoes
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Black beans
- Cottage cheese
- Fresh spinach
- Cherry tomatoes
Other recipes you might like:
- Baked Sweet Potatoes with Roasted Chickpeas & Yogurt Tahini Dressing (Vegan)
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Healthy Falafel (Oven Baked)
- Black Bean Fajitas (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Aubergine/Eggplants with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
Baked Potatoes with Cottage Cheese, Spicy Tomato Sauce & Black Beans (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- 2 Baked potatoes washed
For the spicy tomato sauce
- 1 Yellow onion finely diced
- 1-2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2-1 Red chili minced
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (can be omitted)
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
For the black beans
- 1 Galic clove
- 1 can Black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- Olive oil
For the topping
- 500 g Cottage cheese
- A hand full of Fresh spinach
- 10 Cherry tomatoes diced
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius.
- Add a aluminium folk or parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Wash the potatoes and poke the potato using a fork all around the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for 40-60 minutes, depending on how big your potatoes are. Insert a toothpick to check if the potatoes are done all way through.
- Meanwhile prepare the other ingredients when about 10 minutes remain for the potatoes to be done.
- Preheat two nonstick pans over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add minced yellow onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, until the onion starts to get soft and golden brown.
- Next add the red chili, paprika powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Taste to check of more seasoning is needed and and seal salt and black pepper according to taste. Let it shimmer until the baked potatoes are done.
- Add minced garlic to the other pan and fry for one minute.
- Add the black beans and spices and stir to combine. Taste to check of more seasoning is needed.
- When the baked potatoes are done take them out of the oven and gently using a small knife, slice halfway through the potato lengthwise. Then give it a gentle squeeze to open.
- Stuff with cottage cheese, the hot tomato sauce and black beans.
- Top with fresh spinach and diced cherry tomatoes.