This is a flavorful, tasty a bit spicy and super easy recipe for Moule In Spicy Tomato Sauce. This recipe calls for a few easy staple ingredients and is ready to serve in 20-30 minutes. Make this Moule In Spicy Tomato Sauce as a starter to share or main course. This recipe is both gluten, grain and dairy free.
I know many people think that seafoods are expensive and a bit hard to prepare, and therefore choose not to make it at home. But they’re really not. Especially not mussels. Mussels are both relatively cheap and almost impossible to fail when cooking them. I mean, they tell you when they’re ready by opening themselves. The most important thing is to clean/brush and rinse them before cooking them to avoid any sand or small stones in your food. But other than that… its very straight forward. This recipe is for a delicious, very flavorful and a bit spicy moule in tomato sauce. The base of warming, comforting and very flavorful tomato sauce combined with light and fresh mussels is just divine, and my go to when I want something that is both quick, easy, wallet friendly and super delicious and comforting. Serve this dish with a side salad, fried or your favorite bread. It is perfect to serve as a starter or to make for a cozy dinner. It is both gluten, grain and dairy free.
A few tips:
- The amount of chili can be adjusted according to taste.
- Use good quality canned tomatoes, it really makes a huge difference.
- The same goes for the cherry tomatoes. Don’t use the cheap bland and tasteless ones.
- I used white wine when making my tomato sauce, but you can also add red wine or just skip the wine completely if preferred.
- I love to let my tomato sauce simmer for at least 30 minutes (but preferably 60 minutes when I have the time), just because the flavors really get the chance to come out and really bloom. But you can also let it cook just until it is warm and creamy.
- The tomato sauce can be prepared in advance and then re-heated when just about ready to serve. The mussels only take a few minutes to get ready, so this is really a convenient dish to make if you want to prepare it in advance.
- Don’t cook the mussels for too long. They are ready when they have opened up. So make sure to turn off the stove when most of the mussels have opened.
- Remove the mussels that are closed, they are not good to eat.
Ingredients for this Moule In Spicy Tomato Sauce:
- Canned tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Yellow onion
- Red chili
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Dry white wine (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Moule Mariner with Garlic, Chili & Ginger (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Red Curry with Prawns (Low Carb & Dairy Free)
- Seafood Pasta (Gluten, Diary Free & Low Carb)
- Red Rice Paella
- Salmon Red Curry (Gluten, Dairy & Oil Free)
- Fish & Seafood Soup
Moule In Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 kg Mussels washed and rinsed
- 1 can Canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 Yellow onion chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2-1 Red chili minced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 dl Dry white wine (optional)
- 10 Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Fresh parsley, to top
- Olive oil
- Preheat a big pan over medium heat with some olive oil
- When the pan is hot add the yellow onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the red chili and fry for another minute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir together, let it fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and stir together. Pour in the wine (if using).
- Let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes, until it thickens and reduces.
- Meanwhile wash and rinse the mussels thoroughly.
- Pour into the tomato sauce and cover with a lid. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes, until all/most mussels have opened.
- Remove the mussels that are still closed.
- Divide the mussels between plates, top with fresh parsley and serve with your favorite bread (optional).