This is a recipe for a delicious, super easy and healthier option of a Salted Caramel Pecan Pie. This recipe only calls for seven ingredients and 10 minutes of your time. Serve this pie as an afternoon snack or dessert. This salted caramel pecan pie is both vegan, gluten and refined sugar free.
This Salted Caramel Pecan Pie is the ultimate fall dessert for cozy get togethers and afternoon treats. The pie crust is gluten free and has less fat than a regular crust, since I replaced part of the butter with apple sauce. I love making a healthier pie crust like this, using apple sauce to replace some of the butter. The apple sauce provides both moist, sweetness and makes the crust lower in fat, less greasy and healthier. The pie crust is really delicate and crispy and make a lovely base for this pie. It is filled with a salted caramel filling that has a sweet, deep and rich salted caramel cream made out only using dates (and sea salt). The filling is both creamy, delicious and totally additive and comes together in only two minutes. Serve this salted caramel pecan pie for an afternoon snack or dessert. This pie is both vegan, gluten and refined sugar free.
A few tips:
- Make sure to use juicy dates, otherwise the caramel filling will become dry and harder to get smooth. But choosing good quality, fresh and juicy dates makes the biggest difference. If you only have dates that are a but dry make sure to soak them either for a few hours before making the caramel sauce, or soak them in hot boiling water while making the crust.
- When you start making the crust you might think that you have too little butter or apple sauce since it takes a while before it really starts forming a smooth dough. But just keep on kneading and it will become smooth and firm (worst case add about 1/2 tablespoon of apple sauce more and kneed it into the dough).
- When rolling out the dough you can put the dough between two parchment papers and use a rolling pin to roll it out to a thin dough.
Ingredients for this Seven Ingredients Salted Caramel Pecan Pie:
- Gluten free all purpose flour
- Apple sauce
- Vegan butter
- Pecan nuts
Other recipes you might like:
- Cherry Cheese Cake (Light & Healthy)
- Cherry Galette (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free, Sweetened with Apple Sauce)
- Almond Poppy Seed Cake with Plums
- Cream Cheese Filled Banana Muffins Cups
Seven Ingredients Salted Caramel Pecan Pie (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
For the crust
- 4 dl Gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 dl Apple sauce
- 40 g Vegan butter room temperatured
- A pinch of Salt
For the filling
- 25 (4 dl) Soft small dates pitted
- 2-2 1/2 dl Water
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 25-30 Pecan nuts
- If the dates are dry start by soaking them in some hot water while you prepare the crust.
- Combine the ingredients for the crust and work the dough until it's firm. This will take a few minutes.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Add dates, sea salt and water (start by adding 1 1/2 dl water and then adding more if needed to get the right texture) in a high speed blender and mix until you have a smooth carmel sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Take the dough out of the fridge.
- Place the dough on a parchment paper and roll out to a thin layer that will fit your pie pan. (You can also put it between two parchment papers to make it easier to roll out).
- Greese the pie pan with vegan butter.
- Add the crust to the pie pan, making sure it sits well on the edges so that the dough doesnt roll down.
- Add the carmel sauce filling to the pie pan.
- Arrange pecan nuts on top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.