This recipe is for a fresh, light and mouth melting Lemon Baked Cod with Cauliflower & Spinach Mash. This recipe is easy to make, super delicious and at the same time healthy. It is both gluten, grain, dairy free and low carb. This meal is perfect to serve either for a cozy dinner, lunch or to make for meal prep purpose.
I love fish, and especially cod! It is my favorite fish along with halibut. I love that its gentle, feels so fresh and can be seasoned and paired with just about everything. This cod is seasoned with lemon juice, salt and avocado oil and then baked on low heat to 53-54 degrees Celsius. I love my fish just on the edge of being undercooked, yet of course not raw. Baking it on low heat makes the fish so tender and mouth melting. But keeping it at about 53-54 degrees keeps a bit of chewing resistance, but it still feels tender and mouth melting. I made a fresh, light, yet flavorful cauliflower and spinach mash to serve along with the cod. And then topped it off with some green leafs, sunflower and pumpkin seeds to add some crunch and extra texture. This dish is very flavorful yet gentle. It is perfect to serve for a cozy dinner, lunch or to make for meal prep purpose.
A few tips:
- Use a good quality cod fillet, preferably thicker once.
- Bake the cod on low heat (150 degrees Celsius) instead of higher heat. This prevents the fish from getting dry and makes it very tender and mouth melting.
- When making the cauliflower mash I prefer to leave some bigger pieces left to make the mash more interesting and add some texture.
- This cod is good to store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheat it in the oven on low heat (90-100 degrees) or in the micro wave.
Ingredients for this Lemon Baked Cod with Cauliflower & Spinach Mash:
- Cod fillets
- Galic powder
- Sea salt
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Avocado or olive oil
- Green leafs
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
Other recipes you might like:
- Low Carb Cod with Orange Dressing (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free, Low Carb)
- Miso Fish with Bok Choy
- Fish, Seafood & Nectarine Skewers
- Harissa Fried Shrimps with Cauliflower Purée & Summer Vegetables
- Summery Fish Burger with Nectarine Salsa
Lemon Baked Cod with Cauliflower & Spinach Mash (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free, Low Carb)
- 2 fillets Cod
- 5-6 dl Cauliflower florets (about 1/2 medium sized cauliflower head)
- 100 g Spinach
- 1/2+1/2 Lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1-2 tsp Dijon munstard (optional)
- Avocado or olive oil
- Green leafs, to top
- Pumpkin seeds, to top
- Sunflower seeds, to top
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Bring water to a boil in a pot and add the cauliflower. Lower the heat and let them shimmer until soft.
- Meanwhile place cod fillets in an oven safe baking pan. Season with sea salt, avocado or olive oil, and half of the lemon juice on top of the cod.
- Bake in the oven until the inner temperature reaches 54-57 degrees Celsius (about 15-20 minutes depending on how thick your fillets are).
- Meanwhile drain the caulifower florets.
- Add the spincah, lemin juice, lemon zest, garlic powder, sea salt and dijon mustard (if using) to taste and mix using a hand mixer of mash using a fork. Either mash so that you have some bigger pieces left or mix completely smooth.
- Place the cauliflower and spinach mash on two plates. Top with the cof fillets, green leafs, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.