This recipe is for a fresh, very flavorful and tasty Thai Inspired Pomelo & Shrimp Salad. This is easy to make, hold a lot of flavor and only takes around 15 minutes to prepare. Serve this salad for lunch or as a starter or side dish. It is both gluten, grain free and low carb.
This salad is inspired by Yum Som O, a Thai Pomelo Salad, but adapted a bit to make it easier to make by replacing some of the more unusual ingredients with more common ones. This salad is an easy, very flavorful and tasty and fresh salad that hold lot of taste and includes many different textures. You have the pomelo as a base, which I would say is a combination of orange and grapefruit (much less bitter than grapefruits). The pomelo is combined with dry roasted desiccated coconut, which adds both a lovely texture, sweetness and nutty flavor, roasted peanuts that adds a crunchy texture and a sweetish flavor. Then you also have fried shallot, garlic and chili that adds both heat and a wonderful roasted sweetish flavor. I also included both mint and cilantro to add a fresh yet flavorful taste to the salad. Then you have the fresh and zesty yet flavorful dressing that is made with fish sauce, lime, chili, garlic and some honey. And last but not least the chili fried prawns. This salad is a great mix of so many different and interesting flavors that make a super delicious salad. Serve this salad for lunch or as a starter or side dish. It is both gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- I prefer to first remove as much peel as I can using a knife, then removing the skin from the meat. Last but not least I just tear the pomelo meat into smaller pieces.
- You can adjust the amount of garlic and chili according to taste and how spicy you prefer your salad.
- Make sure to path dry the prawns well before frying them so that they don’t cook instead of fry.
Ingredients for this Thai Inspired Pomelo & Shrimp Salad:
- Fish sauce
- Red chili
- Honey, agave or fiber syrup
- Desiccated coconut
- Fresh mint
- Cilantro (optional)
- Chili oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Lobster & Grapefruit Salad (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Antioxidant Quinoa Salad (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Spicy Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Melon & Scampi Salad (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Watermelon Ceviche (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Spicy Salmon Poke Bowl (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Grapefruit Salad with Shaved Fennel, Dates & Hazelnuts (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Citrus & Mozzarella Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
Thai Inspired Pomelo & Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp Fish sauce
- 3 tbsp Lime juice
- 1/3-1/2 Red chili minced
- 1-2 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp Honey, agave or fiber syrup
For the salad
- 1 Pomelo peeled, segmented and divided into smaller pieces
- 1/2-1 Red chili sliced
- 1 Shallot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Desiccated coconut
- 1/2 dl Peanuts
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp Fresh mint thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Cilantro (optional) chopped
- 10 Prawns
- Chili oil, to fry
- Start by making the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Path dry the prawns using a paper towel.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Dry roast the desiccated coconut and peanuts until warm and golden brown. Set aside.
- Add some chili oil to the pan and fry the shallot, chili and garlic until golden brown.
- Peel the pomelo using a knife. Then remove the skin from the pomelo meat using your hands. Divide into smaller pices.
- Roughly chop the peanuts.
- Add the pomelo, fresh herbs, fried shallot, chili and garlic, roasted desiccated coconut and half of the roasted peanuts to a bowl and combine.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and stir to combine again.
- Add more chili oil to the nonstick pan.
- Fry the prawns over medium/high heat for 1-2 minutes (depending on how raw you prefer them).
- Top the salad with the fried prawns and the rest of the peanuts.
2 thoughts on “Thai Inspired Pomelo & Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)”