This is a recipe for tender, warm and incredibly delicious baked apples filled with a granola, oat and seed mixture. These apples come together in just 20 minutes, are easy to vary and adapt according to taste and preferences and are really easy to make. Make these baked apples for breakfast, afternoon snack or even serve them as a dessert. They are gluten and refined sugar free.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the smell of baked apples! It’s something about the smell that feels so comforting and safe, just like being back at my childhood home. Ok, mix it with cinnamon and it actually gets even better. It smells just like apple pie, and who doesn’t love a good apple pie?! These tender warm apples are filled with a granola, oat, seed and cardamom mixture that is crunchy and just sweet enough. It’s like eating a crustles crumble pie. Not only are they incredibly delicious, they’re also silly easy to make and ready to serve in just 20 minutes. You can easily adapt and vary them depending on what you have at home or are in the mood for! Use different types of granola, use nuts instead of seeds, add raisings, figs or dates to or use different spices. You can serve them for breakfast or afternoon snack with some Greek Yogurt (vegan yogurt), nut or seed butter but even as a dessert either with yogurt or swap it for ice cream or vanilla custard.
A few tips:
- Use any apples that you like or have at home. But I would recommend you not to use bland or almost tasteless apples since.
- Use equally sized apples to ensure the baking time is the same for all apple halves.
- The amount of sweetener can be adapted according to taste and how sweet your granola is.
- These apples can be baked both in an air fryer or in the oven. The oven takes slightly longer time.
- You can replace and mix your seeds just as you like or take what you have at home.
- I would recommend you to eat the apples when freshly baked and still warm. They can however be reheated on low heat in the oven or using a microwave. If reheating in the oven make sure to put them in an oven safe baking dish and cover them with aluminium foil to prevent them from turning out dry.
Ingredients for these Baked Apples with Granola & Greek Yogurt:
- Granola (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Sunflower seeds
- Chia seeds
- Cardamom pods or ground cardamom
- Apple sauce
- Coconut oil
- Fiber syrup/agave/honey (optional)
- Greek or vegan yogurt
Other recipes you might like:
- Cardamom Poached Pears with Yogurt & Granola (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Healthy Apple Cheesecake Muffins (Gluten, Nut, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Plum & Fig Walnut Crumble Pie (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Healthy Chocolate Mousse (Vegan & Sugar Free)
- Roasted Rhubarb Soup (Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Cottage Cheese Yogurt Soufflé (Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Breakfast Apple Pie (Gluten, Nut, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Porridge & Granola Stuffed Apples (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Apple Cinnamon Pancakes (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Apple Pie Smoothie Bowl (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Hasselback Apples (Vegan, Gluten, Grain & Sugar Free)
- Granola & Nut Stuffed Baked Pears (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Baked Apples with Granola & Greek Yogurt (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- 2 Apples Cut in half and cored
- 1/3-1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 dl Granola (Gluten & Sugar free)
- 1/2 dl Oats
- 1 tbsp Sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 tbsp Flaxseeds
- 1/2 tbsp Buckwheat (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom pods (or ground cardamom) grinded
- 1-2 tsp Apple sauce
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 2-4 tsp Fiber syrup/agave/honey
- 3-4 tbsp Greek yogurt, to top
- Cut the apples in half and gently core them using a melon baller or small spoon.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on the cut faced side of the apples.
- Add granola, oats, sunflower, chia, flax, buckwheat seeds, cardamom to a bowl. Add apple sauce and coconut oil and stir until well combined.
- Place apple halves on parchment paper, divide the filling between the apples and bake at 180 degrees for 12-16 minutes in an air fryer or 14-20 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from the air fryer/oven, top with Greek yogurt and serve immediately while warm.