These goat cheese beetroot toasts are delicious, tasty and easy to make. You only need a few easy ingredients and five minutes of your time, the rest is taken care of by the stove. Serve these goat cheese and beetroot toasts as appetizers, starters or make larger ones for brunch or lunch. They are both vegetarian and gluten free.
Beetroots and goat cheese is one of my all time favorite pairings! It’s something about the earthy, sweet and tender beets paired with the creamy, tangy, tart and slightly nutty goat cheese that makes the most wonderful taste combination. I love combining goat cheese and beetroots in all possible ways, and adding them on top of a toast is one of the easies and tastes ways to serve it. To make it even better top it with sweet honey that enhances the sweetness from the beets and makes a wonderful contrast to the tangy goat cheese, and crunchy nutty walnuts for an extra level of texture. These goat cheese and beetroot toasts are great to serve as appetizers, starters or make larger ones and have them for brunch or lunch.
A few tips:
- I used both red and yellow beets, you can use just one of them if you want.
- You can cook the beets in advance or the day before and then just peel and slice them when preparing the toasts.
- Use a good quality bread if possible.
- Use a good quality goat cheese that is creamy and flavorful. Do not buy a cheaper one that is grainy and less flavorful.
- The amount of Creme Fraiche /Greek yogurt can be adapted according to how thick/thin you prefer your goat cheese cream.
- You use pistachio or pine nuts instead of walnuts.
- You can top these goat cheese and beetroot toasts with thick balsamic vinegar instead of honey.
Ingredients for these Goat Cheese & Beetroot Toasts:
- Gluten Free Bread
- Red beetroots
- Yellow beetroots
- Goat cheese
- Creme Fraiche or Greek yogurt
- Black pepper
- Agave or honey
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Sesame Crusted Feta Cheese (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Burrata with Balsamic Cherry Compote (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Goat Cheese Filled Apricots (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Hasselbacked Melon with Prosciutto & Burrata (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Mini Pizzas with Apricots & Taleggio (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Watermelon Bites with Goat Cheese Cream (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Goat Cheese & Rhubarb Toast (Gluten Free)
- Ricotta, Prosciutto & Home Made Cranberry Jam Toast (Gluten Free)
- Fresh Figs with Goat Cheese & Prosciutto (Gluten & Grain Free)
Goat Cheese & Beetroot Toasts (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- 6 slices Gluten Free Bread
- 1 Red beetroot
- 1 Yellow beetroot
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 25-30 g Goat cheese
- 1/2-1 tbsp Creme Fraiche or Greek yogurt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Walnuts roughly chopped
- Agave or honey, to top (optional)
- Fresh basil roughly chopped
- Olive oil, to fry
- Bring water to a boil in a pot. Add salt to the water and boil the beetroots until soft and tender, about 30-40 minutes, depending on the size.
- Run the beets under cold water, let them cool for a few minutes. Peel and slice the beets.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil. Fry the bread for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown (optional).
- Combine goat cheese and Creme Fraiche/greek yogurt and mix either using a fork or a hand mixer until you have a smooth paste. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Spread goat cheese cream on each bread slice. Top with sliced beets, roughly chopped walnuts, honey and fresh basil.