This is a warming, tasty yet fresh dish made with a creamy cauliflower purée and fried chanterelles. It is made with a few key ingredients and ready in 30 minutes. This dish is great to serve both as an starter, side dish or main course. It is vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
No matter what dish you include chanterelles in it turns out feeling luxurious. Chanterelles with their golden yellow/orange color and lovely earthy, slightly nutty and buttery taste and slightly chewy texture when fried will never disappoint. When I cook using chanterelles I prefer to use quite mild, simple and gentle ingredients that accompany the chanterelles and enhance their taste instead of outshining them. Because chanterelles should always be the main star of the dish if you ask me! This dish is made with buttery, slightly peppery chanterelles that are served on a creamy, light, tasty and slightly tangy cauliflower purée with a hint of umami that combines so well with the slightly chewy chanterelles. It is drizzled with ponzu that add a sweet, salty, sour, tangy and zingy taste combination that bread off the smooth and gentle purée and the buttery tasting chanterelles. To round it off top it with earthy, nutty and crunchy hazelnuts. This dish is just as good to serve as a starter, side dish or main course.
A few tips:
- Cook the cauliflower until completely soft and drain well to remove excess water.
- You can choose if you want to mix the cauliflower completely smooth or leave some chunks left. For this dish I prefer to make it completely smooth.
- Clean and rinse the chanterelles well before frying them.
- Make sure to let the water from the chanterelles evaporate well before adding the butter to the pan.
- Fry chanterelles until golden brown.
Ingredients for these Chanterelles with Cauliflower Purée:
- Creme fraiche
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- White pepper
- Butter (or olive oil)
Other recipe you might like:
- Hasselback Potatoes with Chanterelles & Gruyere (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Chanterelles (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Toast with Scrambled Eggs & Chanterelles (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Chanterelles Toasts (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Chanterelle Flatbread Pizza (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Råraka with Chanterelles/Swedish Hash Brown with Chanterelles (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
Fried Chanterelles with Cauliflower Purée (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 1/2 Cauliflower head cut into smaller florets
- 2-2 tbsp Creme fraiche
- 2-3 tbsp Parmesan grated
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 100 g Chanterelles rinsed and cleaned
- 1 tbsp Butter
- White pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Ponzu
- Hazelnuts roughly chopped
- Fresh parsley roughly chopped
- Bring water to a boil, add cauliflower florets, lower the heat and let it simmer until completely soft (takes around 20 minutes).
- When about 5 minutes remain for cauliflower to be done preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the rinsed chanterelles and fry until the water has evaporated, stir every now and then.
- Add the butter and white pepper, fry until golden brown.
- Drain the cauliflower well. Mix using a hand mixer until completely smooth. Add Creme Fraiche, grated parmesan, sea salt, black pepper and stir to combine. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed.
- Place the cauliflower purée at the bottom of two plates. Top with fried chanterelles and drizzle with ponzu, roughly chopped hazelnuts and fresh parsley.