This is a refreshing, tasty and delicious recipe for Hasselbacked Melon with Prosciutto & Burrata. This dish only take 5-10 minutes to prepare including only three main ingredients. Serve this dish for lunch, as a starter, side dish or include it in a sharing dinner or buffet. It is both gluten and grain free.
An iconic taste combination – sweet melon, salty prosciutto and creamy fresh burrata – served with a twist! Some dishes are just so delicious and classic that you never get get tired of them and they will never get out of style. But sometimes it’s a little fun to mix things up and serve them in a new way. That’s what I did here. I guess you might have heard of Swedish hasselback potatoes?! It’s one of our most delicious and classic potato dishes. It’s potatoes that have been sliced thinly, but not all the way through, and then baked in the oven, resulting in crunchy edges and a soft core. Using the hasselback method is also great to apply on other foods like beets, carrots, apples, pumpkin, zucchini.. actually anything you can come to think of. This dish is made with cantaloupe melon that has been hasselbacked, but not baked as usually done with hasselbacked vegetables, then stuffed with slices of prosciutto. The hasselbacked melon is served on a burrata where half of it is whipped and half of it roughly torn into smaller pieces, topped with some fresh lemon juice, peppery arugula, black pepper and crunchy pistachio nuts. This dish is easy and quick to make, only needing three main ingredients. Serve it for lunch, as a starter, side dish or include it in a buffet.
A few tips:
- Use a juicy and sweet melon.
- Make sure not to cut all the way though the melon.
- The amount of slices is up to you. I like to make the slices about 1 cm apart to make it easier to eat when served.
- Use a creamy good quality burrata to make sure it’s fresh and creamy.
- I used one burrata for this plate that I divided in two. I whipped one half into a smooth burrata cream that I placed at the bottom of a plate. Then tore the other part into smaller pieces, placing them over the whipped.
- To add some extra tastes and textures I topped this dish with arugula, fresh lemon juice, black pepper and crunchy pistachio nuts. You can also add some olive oil on top if preferred.
Ingredients for this Hasselbacked Melon with Prosciutto & Burrata:
- Cantaloupe melon
- Black pepper
- Olive oil (optional)
- Pistachio nuts
Other recipes you might like:
- Watermelon & Feta Cheese Summer Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Rosé Poached Strawberries with Burrata (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Bresaola, Mozzarella & Mango Salad (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Buffalo Mozzarella with Rhubarb Two Ways (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Grapes with Whipped Feta Cheese & Honey (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Orange, Fennel & Burrata Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Burrata with Fresh Figs (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Tomatoes On A Feta Cheese Yogurt Bed (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Burrata & Stone Fruit Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Galia Melon & Mozzarella Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain & Oil Free)
Hasselbacked Melon with Prosciutto & Burrata (Gluten & Grain Free)
- 1/2 Cantaloupe melon deseeded and cut into wedges
- 1 Burrata
- 8-10 slices Prosciutto
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil (optional, I did not use it)
- Pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- Cut the melon in half, remove the seeds, cut into wedges.
- Using a sharp knife make small slices in the melon, making sure not to cut all the way through. (
- I divided my burrata in two and whipped one half using an electric balloon which until smooth and fluffy. Placed it on a plate, divided the other half into smaller pieces and topped the whipped burrata. You can also whip the whole burrata or just tear the whole burrata into smaller pieces.
- Add 1/2-1 slice of prosciutto (depending on how big the slices are) into all/some of the cut slices in the melon.
- Top with arugula, lemon juice, olive oil (if using), black pepper and roughly chopped pistachio nuts.