This recipe is for a wonderful, delicious, delicate yet very tasty and flavorful Buffalo Mozzarella with Rhubarb Two Ways. You only need five main ingredients and 20 minutes to make it. Serve it as an appetizer, starter or side dish. It is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Rhubarb, oh lovely rhubarb. Maybe mostly associated with sweets and baking. But it’s actually delicious and perfect to use in savory dishes as well! It adds a lovely texture, tart and a bit sourish taste that pairs well with different cheeses and condiments. This dish is made with a creamy, fresh and cold buffalo mozzarella, a wonderful and creamy vanilla flavored rhubarb compote and balsamic roasted rhubarb stalks. It is a wonderful combination of fresh, creamy, cold, warm, sweet and tart. It it mouth melting with a slight chewing resistance from the balsamic roasted rhubarb stalks and served with a crispy grilled bread and fresh basil and black pepper on top. This dish is both easy and quick to make and perfect to serve as an appetizer, starter or side dish. It is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Use a good quality buffalo mozzarella that is really creamy and fresh. It makes the biggest difference. This dish only requires four main ingredients, hence better make them good quality once.
- The recipe for the rhubarb compote I used is this one. You can prepare it in advice and then just heat it on low temperature when ready to make this dish.
- I personally love serving the rhubarb compote warm, since it makes such a wonderful contrast to the cold and fresh buffalo mozzarella. But you can or course serve it cold as well.
- Don’t roast the rhubarb stalks for too long. They should be warm, tender but still have just a liiiittle chewing resistance left to add some texture to this dish. Don’t let them bake for too long so they become all mushy and soggy.
Ingredients for this Buffalo Mozzarella with Rhubarb Two Ways:
- Buffalo mozzarella
- Rhubarb compote
- Rhubarb stalk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper
- Fresh basil
- (Gluten free) bread
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Asparagus with Labneh & Pesto (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Sweet Potato & Ricotta Gnocchi with Burrata (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Savory Oat Waffles Italian Style with Burrata & Cherry Tomatoes (Gluten Free)
- Burrata with Roasted Bell Pepper Sauce (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Orange, Fennel & Burrata Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Persimmon & Burrata (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Burrata with Fresh Figs (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Toast with Burrata & Pesto (Gluten Free)
- Burrata & Stone Fruit Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Asparagus Frittata with Pesto & Burrata (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
Buffalo Mozzarella with Rhubarb Two Ways (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 1 Buffalo mozzarella
- 1/2 jar Rhubarb compote (see note 1 below)
- 1 stalk Rhubarb cut into 2-3 cm long pieces
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper
- 2-3 leaves Fresh basil thinly sliced
- 2-4 slices Fresh (gluten free) bread
- Olive oil, to fry
- Prepare the rhubarb compote unless you already have it ready. (see note 1)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the rhubarb stalk and place on an oven safe baking pan.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and toss to cover the rhubarb stalks.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until softened and warm but still have a bit of a crunch left.
- Heat the rhubarb compote on low heat in a small pot.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Add the sliced bread and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Place the warm rhubarb compote at the bottom of a deep plate. Top with the balsamic roasted rhubarb stalks.
- Add the buffalo mozzarella on top, add freshly ground pepper and thinly sliced basil on top.
- Serve with warm roasted bread.