This salad recipe is for a lovely lukewarm salad made with beetroots, beluga lentils and walnuts as the main ingredients. You only need a hand full of ingredients to make this salad and almost no effort from your end since the oven and stove takes care of most parts. Serve this salad as a main course, top it with your favorite protein or serve it as a side dish to your main course. It is vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
A lukewarm salad is one of my favorite things to make during fall and winter. I’m a huge salad lover and love to eat it all year round since they’re delicious, easy to make and adapt according to what’s in season at the moment and because you can throw in just about everything you’re in the mood for or have at home. Also the best part about salads is that they can be made in so many different ways, styles and combinations. For me the most important part is to mix different tastes, textures, colors and raw/cooked/baked/roasted ingredients. During summer I make a lot of raw salads because you usually want something fresh, crunchy, juicy and refreshing .. but when the temperature starts to drop I love to make salads combining raw and cooked/baked/roasted vegetables to make them more warming and filling but still keeping the fresh and light taste. This salad is an incredibly easy salad made with just five main ingredients that combines crunchy, soft, warm, cold, nutty, sweet and tangy flavors and textures. It’s great to serve just as it is as a main course, top it with your favorite protein or to serve it as a side dish.
A few tips:
- Cut the beets into equally sized wedges to make sure the baking time is the same for all of them.
- The baking time will depend on how large your beets are and how “al-dente” you prefer them. I personally love when they are slightly “al-dente” to keep some of the chewing resistance.
- You can cook the beluga lentils with some vegetable stock to add more flavor, but they are also tasty without.
- Use a good quality goat cheese that is flavorful and creamy.
- You can adjust the amount of walnuts depending on your preferences. You also swap them for hazelnuts, almonds or pumpkin seeds for example.
- Using honey/agave/fiber syrup is optional but recommended. Otherwise you can also top the salad with balsamic vinegar, olive oil or make a fresh Dijon vinaigrette.
Ingredients for this Beetroot & Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Walnuts:
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Beluga lentils
- Vegetable stock cube (optional)
- Mixed green leaves
- Goat cheese
- Honey/Agave/Fiber syrup
Other recipes you might like:
- Antioxidant Quinoa Salad (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Warm Kale Salad (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Chèvre Chaud Salad with Summer Fruits (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Whipped Burrata with Mixed Cherry Tomatoes & Raspberries (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Zucchini Ricotta Fritter Salad with Grilled Vegetables (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Mediterranean Sweet Potato Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Sweet Potato & Beet Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Chèvre Chaud & Mixed Beet Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Shaved Brussel Sprout & Kale Salad (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Kale Salad with Pears & Blue Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Halloumi Salad Bowl (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
Beetroot & Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Walnuts (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- 4-5 Beetroots washed and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 dl Beluga lentiles rinsed
- 2 dl Water
- 1/2 Vegetable stock cube (optional)
- 75-100 g Mixed green leaves
- 50-75 g Goat cheese crumbled
- 10-14 Walnuts roughly chopped
- Honey/Agave/Fiber syrup, to top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the beets and cut into wedges. Place in an oven safe baking dish, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on how large your beets are and how "al-dente" you prefer them. I personally love when they have some chewing resistance left.
- Rinse beluga lentils and cook in water and stock cube (if using) for about 20-25 minutes. (Check exact instructions on the once you're using). Then drain from the water.
- Place mixed green leaves on a big plate or in a bowl. Add beluga lentils, roasted beets, crumbled goat cheese and walnuts. Drizzle with honey/agave/fiber syrup (if using).