This recipe is for a tasty, flavorful, easy and healthy Sautéed Mushrooms & Bok Choy with Tahini Cauliflower Purée. You only need a few key ingredients and about 20 minutes to make it. Serve this dish as a main course or side dish. It is both vegan, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Three of my favorite ingredients – cauliflower, mushrooms and bok choy combined into one wonderful, tasty and easy dish. This dish is a mix of not only wonderful and delicious tastes but also a great mix of different textures. You have a creamy, delicate and slightly nutty cauliflower purée. Warm but still a little crispy bok choy. Silky and a little creamy mushrooms with a slightly chewy and meat like texture. All of this is topped with fresh cilantro and crunchy pistachio nuts. The sautéed mushrooms and bok choy are seasoned with fresh ginger, garlic and ponzu. Ponzu is a Japanese sauce made with rice wine, rice vinegar, bonito flakes and citrus. The taste is a bit tart and tangy with clear citrus notes. These ingredients makes ponzu very fresh, light and delicate compared to soy sauce. If you don’t have ponzu at home or can’t find it in the store you can make a substitute by combining rice vinegar, Japanese soy sauce, lemon juice and some water. This dish is both easy and quick to make and perfect to serve as a main course or side dish. It is both vegan, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- I used a mix of porcini, button mushrooms and shiitake for this dish. But you can use any mixed mushrooms you like or can find at the store.
- If you don’t have ponzu at home you can make a substitute by combining rice vinegar, a little Japanese soy sauce, lemon juice and water.
- Use a runny and smooth tahini for the cauliflower purée. The amount of tahini can be adjusted according to taste.
- I topped my dish with pistachio nuts. But you can use any nuts or seeds that you like or have at home as topping.
Ingredients for this Sautéed Mushrooms & Bok Choy with Tahini Cauliflower Purée:
- Lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Bok choy
- Mixed mushrooms
- Fresh ginger
- Olive oil
- Fresh cilantro
- Pistachio nuts
Other recipes you might like:
- Half Baked Salad (Vegan, Paleo & Gluten Free)
- Sesame Fried Cauliflower Rice with Marinated Aubergine (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Grilled Aubergine with Roasted Garlic & Lemon Sauce (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Shaved Carrot Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Oyster Mushroom Bowl (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Asian Style Tofu Steak (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Halloumi Salad Bowl (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
Sautéed Mushrooms & Bok Choy with Tahini Cauliflower Purée (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
For the tahini cauliflower purée
- 1/4 Cauliflower head cut into smaller florets
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp Tahini
- Sea salt, to taste
For the sautéed mushrooms and bok choy
- 1 Bok choy sliced
- 100 g Mixed mushrooms (I used porcini, portobello, button mushrooms and shiitake) cleaned and cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2-1 tbsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1-2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ponzu
- Olive oil, to fry
For the topping
- Fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 10 Pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a big pot.
- Cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces and add to the boiling water. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, until soft and cooked through.
- When the cauliflower is almost done cooking preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for about one minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, stir to combine and fry for a few minutes, until everything starts to get golden brown.
- Add the Bok Choy, fry for another 2-3 minutes, just until the Bok Choy starts to gets tender and slightly browned, but still crunchy.
- Pour in the ponzu and fry for 1-2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile drain the caulofwer well.
- Mix using a hand mixer until you have a smooth purée. Add the lemon juice, tahini and sea salt and mix again until the tahini is incorporated. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed.
- Place the cauliflower purée on a plate. Add the sautéed mushrooms and bok choy on top and top with fresh cilantro and pistachio nuts.