This recipe is for crispy and delicious waffles made with sweet potatoes and halloumi topped with avocado and poached egg. A hand full ingredients is all you need to make these waffles with poached egg and avocado. Make them for a cozy weekend brunch, a tasty yet easy lunch or serve them as a starter! These waffles are both vegetarian and gluten free.
Are you team sweet or team savory? Im definitely team savory! But the great thing about waffles is that you don’t have to choose, because they’re great to eat both sweet and savory! Yes, that also goes for this one (yes, even though it has halloumi in it), at least if feel a bit adventurous. But let stick to the savory version in this post. These sweet potato and halloumi waffles are not only more nutritious than regular waffles, they also have lovely yet subtile flavor combination of sweet and savory. Yes, the combination of sweet potatoes and salty and savory halloumi makes a wonderful combination and makes these waffles both moist and tender but at the same time crispy and crunchy. Together with the spinach, creamy avocado and delicate yet rich poached eggs they are great to serve for a tasty, delicious and nutritious brunch, lunch or starter. These waffles are vegetarian and gluten free.
A few tips:
- Make sure to fork (make small holes) in the sweet potato before baking it in the oven. That will prevent it from exploding.
- Bake the sweet potato/potatoes until soft all the way through.
- The sweet potatoes can also be steamed or cooked
- I would recommend you to bake the sweet potatoes in advance, the you only have to combine all the ingredients when it’s time to make the waffles.
- Make sure to grease both the lower and upper part of the waffle iron well before adding the batter.
- Bake the waffles on medium high heat until golden brown. You want them to get a nice and golden color, yet be tender on the inside.
- Place the cooked waffle/waffles in the oven and keep them warm on low heat.
- You can easily double this recipe if you want to make more waffles on one occasion.
- Do not cook the eggs for too long to avoid ending up with over cooked yolks.
Ingredients for these Sweet Potato Halloumi Waffles with Poached Egg & Avocado:
- Sweet Potato
- Oat flour
- Olive oil
- Fresh spinach
- Vinegar (optional)
- Black pepper
Other recipes you might like:
- Sweet Potato & Spinach Waffle with Asparagus & Poached Egg (Vegetarian, Gluten & Diary Free)
- Savory Oat Waffles Italian Style with Burrata & Cherry Tomatoes (Gluten Free)
- Porridge Waffles Two Ways (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Prosciutto, Asparagus & Burrata (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Asparagus & Feta Cheese Omelette
- Brunch Tacos with Black Beans, Fried Egg & Home Made Salsa (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado & Poached Egg (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Asparagus Frittata with Pesto & Burrata (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Ricotta & Grilled Blood Orange (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
Sweet Potato Halloumi Waffles with Poached Egg & Avocado (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
For the waffles
- 1 medium Sweet potato grated
- 200 g Halloumi grated
- 2 Eggs
- 1 dl Oat flour
- 1 dl Milk (any kind, dairy/non dairy)
- 1 dl Yogurt (any kind, dairy/non dairy)
- Olive oil, to grease the waffle iron
For the topping
- A hand full of Spinach
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vinegar (optional)
- 1 Avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- Black pepper
- Preheat the waffle iron on medium heat.
- Bring water to a boil in a smaller pot with the vingear (if using).
- Grate the sweet potatoes and halloumi, add to a bowl.
- Add oat flour, milk and yogurt. Stir to combine.
- Grease the waffle iron with some olive oil.
- I cook one egg at a time. Start by cracking one egg into a small bowl.
- When the water starts to boil, lower the heat and wait until the water just simmers.
- Using a whisk or a wooden spoon create a swirl in the water.
- Gently slip the egg into the simmering water. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes, depending on how runny you prefer your eggs.
- Remove the egg with slotted spoon and drain well.
- Repeat with the remaining egg.
- Place the waffles on two plates. Top with spinach, sliced avocado and poached eggs. Ground fresh black pepper over it and serve immediately.