A fresh, easy yet super delicious fish dish. That is what you get from making this Cod with Asparagus & Balsamic Roasted Fruits & Berries. You only need a hand full of ingredients and almost no effort from your end. Make this dish either for a weeknight meal or weekend dinner. It is both gluten, grain, dairy, refined sugar free and low carb.
A combination of my favorite foods; cod, asparagus, mixed summer fruits and berries and balsamic vinegar. Now does that sound like a weird combination? You might think so at first, but think again. This is a wonderful and super delicious combination mixing so many different textures, tastes and colors. You have a tender, mouth melting cod, warm fried asparagus that still are a bit crunchy and wonderful warm, tender, sweet and at the same time tart balsamic roasted summer fruits and berries. I know some people are a bit sceptic when comes to including fruits and berries in their cooking, and I was one of them. But I have done a 360 turn around and are a huge lover of adding fruits and berries in my cooking (ok not pineapple on pizza etc). They add a wonderful freshness, sweetness and interesting texture to food. They can really life a whole dish and make it into something extra. Even though this dish might sound both weird and maybe advanced it’s really not. Most of it is taken care of by the oven while you have time to prepare the rest of your dinner in calm and peace. Serve this dish both as a weeknight meal or a weekend dinner. It is both gluten, grain, dairy, refined sugar free and low carb.
A few tips:
- I used strawberries, blueberries and cherries for the roasted fruits and berries. But you can add any fruits or berries that you like or have at home.
- I made the roasted fruits and berries according to this recipe.
- You can use both fresh or frozen fruits and berries, it will turn out well either way.
- Use a good quality and preferably a little thicker pieces of cod.
- I love to pan fry my cod at first and then bake it in the oven to make sure it gets really tender and mouth melting but at the same time has a nice fried surface.
- I bake my cod at 150 degrees Celsius, which is quite low and takes a bit longer time. But it will make sure the fish doesn’t get dry.
- The baking time will vary depending on how thick your cod fillets are but it should take 14-18 minutes. If you have a oven thermometer use it and bake the cod until it reaches 54-57 degrees Celsius.
Ingredients for this Cod with Asparagus & Balsamic Roasted Frits & Berries:
- Cod fillets
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fiber syrup/agave/honey
Other recipes you might like:
- Seared Tuna Steak with Spicy Sweet Potato Mash (Gluten, Grain & Dairy Free)
- Baked Cod with Chanterelles & Lingonberries (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Asian Style Fish Package (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Summery Fish Burgers with Nectarine Salsa (Gluten Free)
- Lemon Baked Cod with Cauliflower & Spinach Mash (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Low Carb Cod with Orange Dressing (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Miso Fish with Bok Choy
Cod with Asparagus & Balsamic Roasted Fruits & Berries (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Refined Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- 2 Cod fillets
- A bunch of Asparagus
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
For the balsamic roasted summer fruits
- 1 dl Cherries pitted and cut in half
- 1 dl Strawberries pitted and cut in half
- 1 dl Blueberries
- 2-3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp Fiber syrup, agave or honey
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place the summer fruits in an oven safe baking dish and combine with balsamic vinegar and fiber syrup/agave or honey.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until soft and a little caramelized.
- When the fruits are done lower the heat to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place the fish in an oven safe baking dish and bake in the oven until the inner temperature of the fish reached 54-57 degrees Celsius. I prefer my fish with a bit of a "core" in it so I bake it just until 53 degrees or so. Just make sure you don't bake the fish for too long so it gets dry.
- Meanwhile the fish is in the oven place the asparagus in the warm nonstick pan that you used for the fish and fry for 6-8 minutes. They should be warm and golden brown, but still a little crunchy inside.
- When everything is done place the fish on plates. Serve with asparagus and balsamic roasted fruits.