This recipe is for warm, tender, sweet pears filled with a lovely savory cheese and nut filling. These warm roasted pears are really easy and quick to make, only including a few ingredients. Serve them as an appetizer, starter or side dish. They are vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
Pears have to be the most underrated fruit! They’re lovely to eat just as they are, use in baking but also to combine with savory foods. One of my favorite ways of pairing them is by making warm baked/fried pears combined with a creamy cheese. The pears get tender, but still kept with a slight core left for some chewing resistance, with a sweet and caramelized taste. Combining them with a savory and creamy cheese is such a wonderful combination where sweet meets savory, which will make your taste buds go crazy. This version is made with a mixture of tangy goat cheese, sultan raisins that add sweetness to the mixture, sea salt to enhance the flavors and hazelnuts for a nutty and crunchy addition. The pears are drizzled with honey to make the most of the sweet and savory combination and topped with fresh thyme that add flora and earthy notes. Post baking the pears are topped with grated gruyere cheese that melts over the warm pears adding lovely fruity and nutty notes. Serve these roasted pears as an appetizer, starter or side dish.
A few tips:
- Use firm pears but not too hard ones. Do not use over ripe pears. You want the pears to turn out tender and soft but still have a slight chewing resistance.
- Make sure to use a good quality and creamy goat cheese.
- I used sultan raisins for this recipe, you can also use regular raisins.
- You can also swap the raisins for cranberries, dates or dried figs.
- I used roasted hazelnuts for this recipe, you can also use raw ones.
- Make these pears in the oven or in the air fryer, depending on which you prefer.
- The pears should be baked at 200 degrees Celsius in the oven for about 20-25 minutes and at 175 degrees Celsius in the air fryer for 8-12 minutes.
- Topping the pears with gruyere cheese after baking is optional but highly recommended! It adds a nice nutty and fruity taste to the pears.
- These pears are best served warmed.
Ingredients for these Roasted Pears with Goat Cheese, Hazelnuts & Thyme:
- Firm pears
- Goat cheese
- Sultan raisins
- Sea salt
- Hazelnuts (I used roasted)
- Fiber syrup/agave/honey
- Fresh thyme
- Gruyere cheese
Other recipes you might like:
- Balsamic Baked Feta Cheese with Figs & Plums (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Goat Cheese & Beetroot Toasts (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Burrata with Balsamic Cherry Compote (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Goat Cheese Filled Apricots (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Hasselbacked Melon with Prosciutto & Burrata (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Mini Pizzas with Apricots & Taleggio (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Whipped Goat Cheese Cream with Home Cooked Cherry Marmalade (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain & Sugar Free)
- Strawberry & Mozzarella Bites (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Goat Cheese Rhubarb Toast (Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Crostini Bites with Cinnamon Fried Pears & Goat Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Pear & Serrano Bites (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
Roasted Pears with Goat Cheese, Hazelnuts & Thyme (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- 3 Firm pears cut in half and cored
- 50-60 g Goat cheese crumbled
- 10 Sultan raisins
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 6-8 Hazelnuts chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Fiber syrup, agave or honey
- 2 springs Fresh thyme divide into smaller pieces
- 3-4 tbsp Gruyere cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 200 or air fryer to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the pears in half lengthwise, remove the core. Place on an oven safe baking dish and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Combine crumbled goat cheese, raisins, sea salt and hazelnuts in a small bowl. Divide the mixture between the six pear halves, drizzle with honey and top with fresh thyme. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or in the air fryer for 8-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven/air fryer and sprinkle with grated gruyere cheese. Serve warm.