This is an easy, quick and healthy recipe for Easy Sweet Potato Hash with Black Kale, Beans & Bell Pepper. This dish is really super easy to make and to adapt according to preferences. It only requires a few key ingredients and minimal effort of your time. Serve it for lunch, dinner or make it for meal prep purpose. It is both vegetarian and gluten free.
Potato hash, amongst a few other dishes, is one of my favorite weekday meals to make. It’s perfect to make either if you just want to throw something together with what you have at home, if you need to make a fridge clean out or when you just lack inspiration to come up with anything else to eat. Because my philosophy is that adding everything you like to a pan can’t go wrong and has to turn out good! Do you agree? A potato hash is also so easy to vary, so it doesn’t have to become boring. Just by varying sweet potatoes with regular ones, using different kind of beans/meat/fish or throwing in different vegetables will make the dish feel like something completely different. Another great thing with potato hash is that it’s perfect to make out of leftovers you have in the fridge, giving them a make over by throwing together a delicious hash. This dish is really great to make for both lunch, dinner or for meal prep purpose. It is both vegetarian and gluten free, but can easily also be made vegan.
A few tips:
- Don’t cut the potatoes into too big pieces, then the cooking time will increase. Make them approximately bite sized.
- Fry the potatoes until they’re almost soft and add in the rest of the ingredients just when a few minutes of the cooking time remain.
- You can easily adapt and adjust this dish according to taste and what you have at home.
- Use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. Vary the black beans with white beans, kidney beans, chickpeas. Add tofu, chicken or meat to the dish. Use different kind of cheeses to top it with. Add carrots, beetroots, leek, onion, broccoli, cauliflower etc depending on what you like or have at home.
Ingredients for this Easy Sweet Potato Hash with Black Kale, Beans & Bell Pepper:
- Sweet potato
- Black beans
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow onion
- Black kale
- Feta cheese
Other recipes you might like:
- Green Shakshouka
- Asparagus & Feta Cheese Omelette
- Halloumi Salad/Lettuce Wrap (Gluten Free)
- Brunch Tacos with Black Beans, Fried Egg & Home Made Salsa (Gluten &Dairy Free)
- Baked Potatoes with Cottage Cheese, Spicy Tomato Sauce & Black Beans (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Baked Feta Cheese & Grape Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Halloumi Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Grilled Aubergine & Zucchini with Hazelnut Pesto & Ricotta (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
Easy Sweet Potato Hash with Black Kale, Beans & Bell Pepper (Vegetarian)
- 1 medium Sweet potato diced
- 2-3 tbsp Water
- 1 can Black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Red bell pepper cored and diced
- 1 small Yellow onion finely chopped
- 2-3 stems Black kale divided into smaller pieces
- 1/2 package Feta cheese (or sub for vegan cheese) crumbled
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Lime juiced
- Cilantro, to top
- Olive oil, to fry
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the diced sweet potato and 2-3 tbsp of water and let it sauté in the water until it has evaporated.
- Then add a little bit of olive oil and let them fry until they're almost soft all the way through and start to get golden brown.
- Add the bell pepper and yellow onion and let it fry together with the potatoes until the onion starts to get golden brown.
- Add the black beans and kale and fry for another 2-3 minutes until the beans and kale is warm.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the lime juice. Stir together to make sure the lime juice coats all of the hash.
- Serve on two plates. Top with crumbled feta cheese (or vegan cheese) and cilantro.