This is a tender, delicious, easy and healthy Sweet Potato Bread. You only need a few easy staple ingredients and about 10 minutes to prepare the batter. This sweet potato bread is great to eat both sweet and savory. Serve it for breakfast, use it for a brunch toast, have it as an afternoon snack or make a fun dessert with it. This bread can be made vegan and is gluten, oil, nut and sugar free.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite root vegetables! They’re actually one of my most used ingredients when I cook. They’re great to replace regular potatoes with, use in salads, have in stews or soups, use as “toast” or “crostini”, make dips with.. but also lovely yo use in baking and sweet treats. Cooked, steamed and baked sweet potatoes are creamy, juicy, sweet with a hint of earthy and nutty flavor, hence they’re great to use for both sweet and savory purposes. Using sweet potatoes in baking makes your baked goods both creamy, tender, juicy, moist and adds a lovely delicate sweet flavor. Since it adds moist, sweetness and creaminess the amount of oil, butter and sugar can be reduced which makes your baked goods healthier and at the same time more nutritious. Sweet potato bread is one of many great things you can bake with sweet potatoes. This version is made with sweet potato mash and oat flour as the main ingredients, which makes it both healthy and nutritious. It can be baked with regular eggs or flax egg hence being vegan friendly. It does not include any nuts or oil, so it is also perfect to bake if there are several food allergies and food preferences to take into account. But the best thing is that you can eat it both sweet and savory, since the recipe doesn’t include any sugar or sweetener, but comes with additional ingredients if you want to make an even sweeter bread. Eat this bread for breakfast, brunch, afternoon snack or make a lovely dessert with it.
A few tips:
- I would recommend you to bake the sweet potatoes in advance so that you can start baking the bread right away.
- You can use regular eggs or flax eggs depending on if you want to have make the bread vegan.
- Use plant based milk if making this bread vegan, otherwise you can use any milk that you have at home or prefer.
- If you want to make a sweeter version of this bread you can add stevia vanilla drops/vanilla extract and additional sweetener. Taste to batter to check the sweetness before baking.
- Bake the bread for 30-40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer/toothpick comes out clean. The baking time may vary a bit depending on your sweet potato mash and if you’re using eggs/flax eggs.
- Let the bread cool completely before removing it from the pan and slicing it.
- This bread is good to store for 5-7 days.
Ingredients for this Sweet Potato Bread:
- Sweet potato mash
- Egg/flax egg
- Apple sauce
- Fiber syrup/agave/honey
- Stevia vanilla drops/vanilla extract (optional)
- Plant based milk or regular milk if non-vegan
- Apple cider vinegar
- Oat flour
- Sugar free granulated sweetener (optional)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
Other recipes you might like:
- Polenta Cake with Mascarpone Cream & Figs (Gluten, Egg & Sugar Free)
- Hazelnut Cake with Whipped Creme Fraiche & Cherry Jam Topping (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Nectarine Mini Cake (Vegan, Gluten, Oil, Nut & Sugar Free)
- Black Bean Bread with Seeds (Gluten, Egg & Oil Free)
- Rhubarb Cardamom Cake (Gluten, Dairy, Sugar & Oil Free)
- High Protein Cottage Cheese Breakfast Buns (Gluten Free, Oil & Nut Free)
- Red Velvet Chickpea Brownie (Vegan, Gluten, Nut, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Nut & Fruit Bread (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Zucchini Bread (Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Chickpea Brookies (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Pear Banana Bread (Gluten, Dairy, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Salted Caramel Pecan Banana Bread (Gluten, Grain & Sugar Free)
- Four Ingredient Sweet Potato Chocolate Mousse (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Sweet Potato Bread (Vegan, Gluten, Oil, Nut & Sugar Free)
- 2 dl Sweet potato mash
- 2 Eggs/Flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 2 tbsp Fiber syrup/agave/honey
- 6-8 drops Stevia vanilla drops (optional)
- 1/2 dl Plant based milk (I used oat milk)
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 4 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Sugar free granulated sweetener (optional, if you prefer your bread sweeter, I did not use it)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- If using flax egg combine ground flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Combine milk and apple cider vinegar in a glass. Set aside.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine sweet potato mash, egg/flax egg, apple sauce, fiber syrup/agave/honey, stevia vanilla drops, and the milk mixture in a bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Pour into the lined baking pan and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before slicing it.